Reviews &
Ongoing Updates
of
San Diego and Regional Theatre

"Dionysos," by Peter Paul Rubens or "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Theatre."

9/17/08

Writing at Catholic Community Services

You don’t have to be Catholic to get the services and I don’t show them my scars for extra attention. It’s around 9:50 a.m. and I’m waiting for the food dispensary program to open while working on “La Belle et La Bête: 2008 (A Vulgar French Fairy Tail).” This is a cabaret piece for five actors; a titch raunchy and always fast moving and joy writing. Blue Lips has informed it along with the late Ethel Eichelberger’s combustion style humor.

Southern California structures cheat on roofs compliments of the mollifying temperature so writing in the morning sun while for my can goods is pretty darn good for this September morning.

Then a 30-something hipster signs-up on The List posted on the gate. After circling the courtyard he sits next to me. I forgot to sign-in and remedy that immediately.

“You no sign up? Ha-ha-ha.”
I don’t take the Hipster’s invitation.
I want to keep writing ‘cause I’m hot on the scene where Beauty’s sisters, Pathalogia and Toxilia, slam him for cleaning the house and breaking their drug pipes.
“Yes. I forgot about that.”
I look in his eyes. He asks me where the bathroom is. “I don’t know.”

He continues speaking and for some reason I continue listening.
“You the only guy writing here. You wake up, you do something.”
“I’m glad I got up and got here in time.”
“I write too. Empire in New York.”
“Yes.”
“Here – you read this letter. You read.”
His name is Bui and the letter is printed on formal letterhead from an Empire State Building address.

He speaks. I listen.
“You see what I’m saying? You see what I’m saying?”
“Yes,” I assure.
I continue to listen.
“You see the fire I’m breathing?”
“Yes.”

La Bête patiently waits in the foyer.

No comments: